Breakout Sessions are Back
WGNC is happy to announce the return of Breakout Sessions. To enhance the value of these sessions to members, we have established a coordinator to help identify topics, hosts and schedules that are aligned with the interests of members.
As Session details are confirmed, the information will be posted on this web page so that a member can look at available subjects and associated details, and then when a topic of interest is found, simply click on the button to sign up.
Breakout sessions are generally free of charge and are offered on a first come first serve basis. Scheduled sessions will be created as Events and will show up on the Home Page in the "A Look Ahead" table, on the "Events Calendar" and on the "Breakout Session" selection under the "Resources" menu .
To learn more about:
- How to join a breakout session
- How to Host a breakout session
- Review the Breakout Session Schedule
Part of the learning process for every turner is to be exposed to all the questions and answers other turners have already experienced. Because when you are first starting out you might not even know what questions to ask, you just are eager to get started and see the chips fly!
Here are some of the questions that might emerge:
· What lathe and tools do I need as a beginner?
· How do I sharpen tools and how often?
· If I don't have a lathe, can I rent one?
· What wood should I start out using?
· What speed should I turn at?
· Are there any safety concerns I need to be aware of?
· Are there woodturning classes available?
· Is there someone who can guide me on this journey?
......and the list grows as your adventure begins with woodturning. It is for these reasons that WGNC has created the "Emerging Turner" section of our website.
To explore the “Emerging Turner” sections just select any of the eight menu items found in the “Emerging Turner Resources” menu.
As a starting point, we suggest you take a look at “New Member Resources”. This page gives you an overview of all the sections and links to each section. To review, click here.