Monthly Show & Tell Session
- December 15th
- Zoom session opens about 6:30 PM
- Meeting begins at 7:00 PM
Please join us each month for our monthly Zoom Show & Tell Session.
This forum is intended for all levels of woodturners and is a safe and respectful place to solicit input and advice, regardless of your experience level.
All WGNC members and their guests are welcome to spend an evening with fellow woodturners as we explore and share members' projects, ideas, issues and yes, even those shop disasters.
We hope to see you for this month's always enjoyable, entertaining and interactive session.
As part of our regular Show & Tell program, we allot time to the session that is devoted to sharing and discussing a Personal Challenge from a recent demonstration. The Personal Challenge is intended as a way to encourage members to try new ideas, techniques and to also be able to obtain advice on subjects covered in the demonstration. WGNC also provides an open invitation to the person who conducted the demonstration to join the session to be available to answer questions and critique the various submissions made by members. These sessions are always a great learning experience and fun.
The upcoming Personal Challenges will be as follows:
For December, the Challenge will come from the November "Creating Small Projects" demonstration that was be presented by Meryl Valnes and Daniel Sauerstrom.
For January, the Challenge will be to pick from any of the 2022 demonstrations.
Members can review video of all the demonstrations here.
Remember, you do not have to have a completed project to participate. This session is designed to explore the techniques presented, so whether you have a completed piece, a practice piece or simply "idea boards", all are welcome for sharing and discussing with other members.
As a reminder, WGNC wants to encourage all skill levels to participate in our Show and Tell activities. The galleries are all about our members adventures in turning. What they turned, what they learned, how they addressed problems and challenges, design considerations and modifications. They are also about learning and sharing, mentoring, and experiencing the many avenues of woodturning. As a Guild, we offer many opportunities, but none as important as sharing our collective knowledge of all things turning. The Show and Tell and Personal Challenge are just another way for you to bring more skills and exposure to your personal turning experience, give and receive help and guidance as needed and enjoy the adventures of your fellow woodturners.
We all look forward to seeing our members unique creations.
Show & Tell Submission guidelines:
- Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The deadline for submissions is 6:00 PM on the Wednesday before the Show & Tell. Due to processing time, we cannot accept entries received after this time.
- Include one or two photos of each piece (front/back, top/bottom), since we can't hold a piece for viewing.
- Include your name, wood species, largest dimension, and a short (one or two sentence) description.
- Each person can submit up to two items per session.
- Send a separate email for each piece submitted.
- Reduce your photo file size before sending – try to keep files to 1Mb or less. Not sure how to resize or crop your photos? This 3-minute guide can help if you use Windows.
- Include your name in your photo file name.
Some photo tips:
- Use a booth/backdrop if you have one or use a solid color wall.
- Find good lighting, preferably from one source. Don't rely on camera flash.
- If it's a finished piece, we suggest your best "gallery" shot and another of the bottom or profile/detail not shown in the main shot.
- If it's a work in progress, closeup shots of problem areas or specific challenges would be appropriate.
- Crop your photos fairly close to the object alone.
This month's Show & Tell will be presented in virtual format only. The Zoom instructions will be forwarded with the meeting notice.